The 17th Annual Memorial Observance was held at the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, PA. The service began at 9:45am. At 10:03a.m., the moment Flight 93 crashed, the names of the passengers and crew were read by Gordon Felt and the Heroes Families. The Bells of Remembrance were rung in their memory. This year, several of our student LEADR’s were able to attend the Flight 93 National Memorial Service held on 9-11-18. The LEADR’s heard from guest speakers:
- Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America
- Secretary Ryan Zinke, U.S. Department of the Interior
- The Honorable Tom Wolf, 47th and current Governor of Pennsylvania
- The Honorable Mark Schweiker, 44th Governor of Pennsylvania
- Gordon Felt, President of the Families of Flight 93
- Reverend Paul Britton, brother of Marion R. Britton
- United States Navy Brass Quintet
Following the guest speakers, the LEADR’s were able to tour the Memorial and Visitor’s Center. They spoke with Paul Murdoch, the Architect that designed the Memorial, and visited the final installment to the Memorial, The Tower of Voices.
Our LEADR’s weren’t born before the events of 9-11 took place, but they have learned about the Heroes of Flight 93 and the values of servant leadership. LEADR’s are challenged to stand as one, united in service, out of love for those traumatized by disaster to ensure that Hope Always Lives On. HALO exists to develop students as servant leaders by recognizing specific overlooked needs in the community and illuminating the selfless example of the heroes of Flight 93 as our model.